Posted by Susan | Posted in Recipes | Posted on 28-12-2012
I love to eat chili when the weather turns colder and I’m always on the lookout for healthy versions of this hardy winter dish. I ran across the following recipe for Sweet Potato Chili and thought it would be a great one to share with everyone. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (15.5 oz) can small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (1/2 inch) diced, peeled sweet potato
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 T. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. roasted ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese and chopped fresh cilantro, optional for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat.
- Crumble beef into pot; cook, stirring to break up pieces, until browned. Drain off fat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook six minutes or until onion is softened, mixing occasionally.
- Add beans, sweet potato, undrained tomatoes, water, chili powder, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper; mix to combine. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until potato is tender; Stir occasionally.
- Serve, garnished with cheese and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrient Analysis per serving:
Calories: 261; Total fat: 4 gm; Sat fat: 1 gm; Trans fat: 0 gm; Cholesterol: 23 mg; Sodium 433 mg; Total carbohydrate: 39 gm; Dietary fiber: 11 gm; Protein: 16 gm
Recipe courtesy of Jean Kressy, MS, BSN
Author: Susan Taylor, RD, LD–Susan is a registered dietitian, dedicated to helping others make healthy dietary and lifestyle changes. Please check out her website at www.rdoncall.miessence.com or connect with her on twitter or facebook.