Posted by Susan | Posted in Recipes | Posted on 09-01-2013
Tags: Healthy Breakfast Recipe
Looking for a healthy breakfast alternative to high sugar cereal or a high fat high calorie bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit? Try this easy recipe for muesli which is high in fiber, low in calories, and tastes great!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup red currants
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup almonds, slivered
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, currants, raisins, coconut, almonds, walnuts, and cinnamon.
- Stir ingredients, until they are well mixed–can store for several months.
- Combine 1/2 cup muesli with 1 cup water and add a dash of vanilla, if desired. Microwave on high for three minutes. Top with 1/2 tsp. ground flaxseed.
- Bring 1 cup water to boil for each serving of muesli. Stir in muesli. Simmer three to five minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add vanilla, if desired, and 1/2 tsp ground flaxseed per serving.
Nutrient Analysis per 1/2 cup serving of dry cereal:
Calories: 229; Total fat: 10 gm; Sat. fat: 3 gm; Trans. fat: 0 gm; Sodium: 0 mg; Carbohydrates: 33 gm; Fiber 7 gm; Sugar: 12 gm; Protein: 6 gm.
Recipe courtesy of McKenzie, Hall, RD
Author: Susan Taylor, RD, LD